Major Assistance Grants
If you own or live in a private sector property in Castle Point, and the property need repairing to bring it up to a reasonable standard, you may be eligible for a grant from us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply for this grant?
Applicants applying for grant assistance must be aged over 18 years, and be a UK citizen or ordinary resident in the UK not subject to immigration control, to have a UK National Insurance Number.
Who will qualify?
To qualify for a Renovation Grant
• The property must be in the Borough of Castle Point.
• The applicant must have lived and owned the property from the last 3 years.
• Have reached the sufficient points level, which will prioritise properties that are a Health and Safety risk to the occupants.
• The applicant/partner or member of the household does not own another property in the U.K. or abroad.
• The applicant/partner has not received any other Discretionary Grant in the past 5 years (excluding energy efficiency and minor adaptations)
• The applicant had not been a recipient of a partially funded Disabled Facility Grant in the past 5 years.
• The property must not have more than two unoccupied bedrooms.
The applicant/partner has not acquired the property under the Right to Buy Scheme within the last 5 years.
What works can be carried out?
They cover facilities such as
• Structural stability
• Toilet provision•
• Kitchen facilities
Once you have contacted Private Sector Housing Unit, A technical officer will be sent to you, who will evaluate the works required and whether you are eligible for the grant assistance.
How will the grant be calculated?
This is a discretionary and a means-tested grant and all resident household members will be subject to a means test. The amount of grant will be the difference between the amount of the assessed contribution and the total cost of the eligible work .
Are there charges?
The grant given will be registered on the Local Land Charges for 5 years and the whole grant will be repayable if the property is sold within that period.
How do I apply for this grant?
Unfortunately these are grants are subject to council funding which has not been available for at least the last 5 years. Please bear in mind therefore that there is a long waiting list. If you still wish to be considered for grant funding you must contact the Council for information on the current status.
Anchor Staying Put may also be able to give advice and help you to arrange and carry out the work, they also offer a handyman service for minor repairs. They can be contacted on 01268 638406.