Buying your home


Can a family member help me to buy (Right to Buy or RTB) my council house property?

Family members must, unless your landlord agrees otherwise, be:-  

  1. your husband, wife or civil partner or 
  2. have lived with you throughout the last 12 months.

Please note that a person who lives with you as 

  1. your husband or wife but who is not married to you or 
  2. if you were civil partners but who is not your registered civil partner is regarded as a member of your family.  

 If someone that does not meet the above requirements wishes to help with the purchase they can but, it should be noted that their name would not be included on the property ownership details.

Back to Questions

How long do I have to be in the property before I can buy?

If your secure tenancy existed before 18th January 2005, or you were a public sector tenant before 18th January 2005 and have remained a public sector tenant since that time, you do not have the Right to Buy until you have spent 2 years as a public sector tenant.   For tenancies commencing after the 18th January 2005, you do not have the Right to Buy until you have spent 5 years as a public sector tenant. 

Back to Questions

I would like to buy my Council property. How do I go about it?

Under the Right to Buy Scheme, you may be entitled to buy your home at a price lower than the full market value. This is because the length of time you have spent as a tenant entitles you to a discount. Further details in the form of a booklet together with an application can be downloaded here.

Alternatively you can email us with your request or telephone us on 01268 882330. If you prefer you can visit the Housing Section at the Council Offices, Kiln Road, Benfleet, SS7 1TF to discuss this matter.

Back to Questions