Someone has lit a bonfire and the smoke is affecting me/my property. Can anything be done to stop this?

This may not be possible as it is not illegal for someone to have a bonfire and an Environmental Health Officer would have to determine if the smoke is causing a Statutory Nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. For further information click here. Alternatively please email us (including your name and address) at, or telephone us on 01268 882200 or write to / visit the Environmental Health Services at the Council Offices, Kiln Road, Thundersley, Benfleet, SS7 1TF.

Back to Questions