Banding Queries


My banding is wrong, or too high, can you reduce it?

If you wish to make an appeal, you should contact the listing officer for your area at the local office of the Valuation Office Agency, not your council. The address is: District Valuer and Valuation Officer, 34 Southway, Colchester, Essex CO2 7BB

or phone 01206 287100. Visit their website for more information.

The listing officer will provide you with the necessary form to make your appeal. You will be asked to identify the dwelling in question, and state in writing:

  • Your name and address;
  • Your interest in the dwelling (eg. owner or tenant);
  • Why you believe the list is wrong and how it should be altered.

If the listing officer needs more information, he/she will get in touch with you. You will not have to attend a hearing at this stage.

If the listing officer agrees with your proposal he/she will alter the valuation list and your council will be required to revise your council tax bill and adjust your payments if necessary.

If the listing officer does not agree with your proposed alteration, if you cannot agree on an alternative one, or if no decision has been made at the end of six months, the listing officer must refer your proposal to a Valuation Tribunal as a formal appeal.

The appeals process has been designed to be as simple and straightforward as possible. You do not need to employ an estate agent, solicitor, surveyor or any other person to help with your proposal. You may do so, however, if you wish and you feel it would be helpful.

If the listing officer believes that a proposal has not been made correctly, he/she may reject the proposal as invalid. If you disagree with such a decision, you will be able to appeal against that, too, to the valuation tribunal direct.


What is the banding on a property?

The banding is determined by the Valuation Office Agency.

This band is determined by the value of your property (this value is the amount for which the property would have been expected to sell for on the open market on 1 April 1991). The table below shows the values for each band:

property bands
A   Up to £40,000
B £40,001 To £52,000
C £52,001 To £68,000
D £68,001 To £88,000
E £88,001 To £120,000
F £120,001 To £160,000
G £160,001 To £320,000
H £320,001 And over  

You can check the banding of any property by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website at