Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.
Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, you are still able to access services and information from this website 24/7.
Information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access Council Services during this period can be found on our Coronavirus information page
You are invited to view and contribute to the The Mayor's Covid Record of Reflection
Last updated: 14/04/2021
To support the recovery of the high street as Government's National Restrictions are relaxed the Chancellor announced the new Restart Grant scheme. The Restart Grant scheme will launch on 1 April and aims to support businesses registered for Business Rates where the main service and activity takes place in a fixed rate-paying premises, in the below sectors;
- Non-essential retail
- Personal care
- Gym & Sport
The Restart Grant will be split into two strands. Under Strand One, grants of up to £6,000 will be paid to non-essential retail business premises, to help them reopen safely. Under Strand Two, grants of up to £18,000 will be allocated to hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises, which may open later under plans set out in the roadmap and will be more impacted by restrictions when they do reopen.
The amounts payable will be:
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, will receive a one-off grant of £2,667.
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a one-off grant of £4,000.
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, will receive a one-off grant of £6,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, will receive a one-off grant of £8,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a one-off grant of £12,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, will receive a one-off grant of £18,000.
The Council will aim to make these payments automatically week commencing 19 April 2021 using existing grant data applications.
An application form will be made available for those businesses where it is not possible to make the payment automatically.
Businesses should ensure that they meet the qualifying criteria. See Restart_Grant Local Authority Guidance.pdf 422KB paragraphs 28 to 45
Please note that you only need to apply once for a grant in respect of the schemes below and we will review your application each time restrictions change
Local Restrictions Support Grants
1) Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum - National Lockdown
Available for the following periods:
- 16 February 2021 to 31 March 2021 (application closure date is 31 May 2021)
Businesses that are eligible are those that have been mandated to close by Government and include non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities and hospitality businesses.
Applications can be made online: see link further below
2) Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG)
From Thursday 5th November to Wednesday 2nd December 2020 the Additional Restrictions Grant scheme will also apply. This scheme also applies for any period that the Council is in LCAL3 Local restrictions (Tier 3) and Tier 4.
This is a discretionary fund and is directed to businesses that will not be eligible under the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) scheme. Businesses that can qualify are those that have not been forced to close but have been significantly impacted by the national lockdown, and similarly businesses who may not have rateable commercial premises and who have high ongoing fixed business costs.
The scheme will prioritise the following business sectors:
b) Hotels and Bed & Breakfast;
c) Leisure businesses;
d) Businesses in the supply chains to the businesses (a) to (c);
e) Businesses in the supply chain to those businesses forced to close; and
f) Events companies
Please note that this scheme is not for the self employed who would qualify for assistance under the Self Employment Income Support Scheme.
The rate of payment for eligible businesses will be:
• Up to £5,000 where ‘medium’ businesses (with 50 to 249 employees) meet the criteria
• Up to £4,000 where ‘small’ businesses (with 10 to 49 employees) meet the criteria
• Up to £3,000 where ‘micror’ businesses (with 0 to 9 employees) meet the criteria
New Applications can be made online: Online Application Form
Previous Grant Funding
The following schemes are now closed for applications in line with government requirements:
- Discretionary Grant Fund Scheme which ran in early June 2020. All payments were made to qualifying applicants on 17 June 2020
- Small Business Grants Fund
- Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Sector)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Open)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Addendum) for period up to 15 February 2021.
Applications received by 31 March 2021 under the Local Restrictions Support schemes and Closed Business Lockdown Payments will continue to be processed for payment by the end of April 2021.
Business Grants Funds
A total of 4,092 grants worth £21m have been made to local businesses in the Castle Point Borough area since the beginning of April 2020. These grants have been vital to our local economy – helping ensure the survival of shops, cafes, hotels, restaurants and many other businesses.