Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

  • You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
  • The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
  • You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our  Coronavirus information page

Business Rates - Frequently Asked Questions

My Rateable Value has been reduced, however, my bill has not! Why?

You may find that a change in your properties rateable value makes no difference to the amount you pay until a later year. This is because the transition scheme limits the amount your bill can go down from year to year.
If this affects you then contact the council who will explain your charges.

How can I appeal against my Rateable Value?

The Valuation Officer may alter the value if he believes that the circumstances of the property have changed. The ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) may also in certain circumstances propose a change in value. If in either case the ratepayer and the Valuation Officer do not agree, the matter is referred as an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. If you have any queries about your rateable value, please contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501 501 or visit their website

I am only using part of my premises. Is there any relief available?

Section 44A relief is a temporary relief which may be awarded to business ratepayers who are only using part of their premises and the remaining unoccupied area is completely unused. .

How is the money I pay spent?

Business Rates are collected by all Councils and are used to help provide local services.

I have business premises that I wish to rent out. Who is responsible for rates?

Under normal circumstances the occupier/leaseholder/tenant is responsible for payment of the rates.

My Business is suffering Financial Hardship. What can I do?

Hardship Relief is a rate relief which may be offered at the discretion of the Authority to ratepayers who are suffering financial hardship in payment of their Business Rates. see under How to Reduce Your Business Rates - hardship relief for more information. or click here

I am having difficulty paying. Can I make an arrangement?

If you are having difficulty paying your account, contact the Business Rates Section on 01268 882237 to discuss a payment plan.

Will I be charged for Business Rates if I work from home?

You will only be liable to pay Business Rates if you have structurally altered your property in order to cater for your business.
If you are only using a room in your home as an office, you will not be charged for Business Rates.

For further information contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501 501 or click here