Accessing Council Services:
- You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
- The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
- You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our Coronavirus information page .
Interim Chief Executive:- Andrew Grant
Email address:- email@example.com
The Chief Executive is the senior officer who leads and takes responsibility for the work of the paid staff of the Council, who run the local authority on a day to day basis. The role of Chief Executive is a full time appointment; it is the highest paid officer role and is responsible for selecting, appointing and managing the staff.
The Council has appointed Mr Andrew Grant Interim Chief Executive following the passing of David Marchant Chief Executive.
The appointment of an Interim Chief Executive to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the Head of the Paid Service and assist the process of overseeing the selection of the new Chief Executive is common practice given the lengthy formal processes to be followed to appoint a Chief Executive.
By law, the Chief Executive is not allowed to participate in any party political activity and is expected to advise and assist all councillors irrespective of their political affiliation.
The complex nature of the role and the wide breadth of service areas mean that the role of a local government Chief Executive is highly specialized. Typically only somebody with extensive and unique local government experience is suitable for the role.
As Head of the Paid Service, the Chief Executive works closely with 41 elected Councillors for Castle Point to deliver the following:
- Leadership: working with elected Councillors to ensure strong and visible leadership and direction, encouraging and enabling managers to motivate and inspire their teams
- Strategic Direction: ensuring all staff understand and adhere to the strategic aims of the organisation and follow the direction set by the elected Councillors
- Policy Advice: acting as the principal policy adviser to the Council to lead the development of workable strategies which will deliver the political objectives set by the councillors
- Partnerships: leading and developing strong partnerships across the local community to achieve improved outcomes and better public services for local people
- Operational Management: overseeing financial and performance management, risk management, people management and change management within the Council
Mr Grant has considerable local government experience. Recently Mr Grant held the post of Interim Chief Executive at Cambridge City Council overseeing the transition between permanent Chief Executives (September 2020 to May 2021).
Mr Grant was Chief Executive of Aylesbury Vale District Council for more than ten years and prior to that held the post of Deputy Chief Executive with the Cotswold District Council for nine years.