Council Tax discount for persons in detention
Notes of Guidance
This discount will apply to a person on a day if he or she is detained under one of the following conditions:
- In a prison, hospital or any other place under order of any UK court.
- In a prison, hospital or any other place under a Standing Civilian Court established under the Armed Forces act 1976
- Under the immigration act 1971, section 136 of the Mental Health Act 1983 (detention in place of safety), or the Repatriation of Prisoners Act 1957.
- Under the Army Act 1955, the Air Force Act 1955 or the Naval Discipline Act 1957.
- In a hospital under section 46,47 or 48 or part II of the Mental Health Act 1983.
This category of discount does not apply to:
- Prisoner released on licensed parole, exempt those discharged temporarily under section 28 or section 47(5) of the Prisoner Act 1952 (generally on compassionate grounds) who will be disregarded.
- Persons committed to prison for non-payment of Council Tax.
- Persons detained for default in payment of a fine.
- Service personnel who are under open arrest or who are detained for less then 48 hours.