Register to Vote - Individual Electoral Registration
Annual Canvass of the Register of Electors
The Government requires every Local Authority to conduct an Annual Canvass of the Register of Electors in order to make sure that the information we hold is correct and up to date.
Registering to Vote
You need to register to vote before you can vote in UK Elections and Referendums.
You can register on-line at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Each Individual is responsible for registering themselves and you need to provide your National Insurance Number and Date of Birth when registering. This makes the electoral register more secure.
For further information regarding the election please go to www.castlepoint.gov.uk/elections
Register to vote?
- Go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits, tax credits or pensions.
- Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered. In some instances we will require further information. If this is the case we will write to let you know.
- If you provide your email address we may communicate with you via email.
To find out more go to www.gov.uk/voting-in-the-uk
Or go to www.yourvotematters.co.uk
Postal or proxy voting
You can apply for a postal vote at any time, whether permanently or for a specific election. You can also have a proxy vote (where someone votes on your behalf) if you are physically unable to vote in person at the time of the election. If you wish to apply for a postal vote or a proxy vote, please complete one of the forms below and either post or email it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Approximately 3-4 weeks before an election, providing you are on the Electoral Register, we will send you a poll card informing you of the location of your polling station and the times of poll.
- Application to Vote by Post [docx] 42KB
- Application to Vote by Proxy Long Term [docx] 55KB
- Application to Vote by Proxy Particular Election [docx] 38KB