Hackney Carriage and Private Hire


What is required to become a licensed Hackney Carriage /Private Hire Driver?

You must be over 21 years of age and have a held full DVLA driving licence for at least 3 years.

How do I make an application to become a licensed driver?

You can call in at Castle Point Borough Council offices, phone 0168 882416 or by email licensingunit@castlepoint.gov.uk where you can obtain an application pack.
This consists of:
Application form
Disclosure and Barring Service forms
DVLA driving licence check form

DSA pass certificate for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire assessment
Medical form
Details of Disability Awareness training
Vehicle application (if required)
Operator application form (if required)
Details of conditions of licence which can be found on our website

How long will the process to become a licence driver take?

It normally depends on the following:
How quickly you get through the knowledge test and Driving Assessment
How quickly you get the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) form back from DBS
How quickly you arrange your Medical
How quickly you complete Disability Awareness training
How quickly your referees respond to the reference check

How much does it cost to apply for a drivers licence?

The cost of a driver’s licence within Castle Point can vary depending on when you apply. All drivers licences are tri-annual and expire in 2012. The fees are calculated pro – rata over the three year period. In order to obtain an up to date list of charges, it is best to contact the Licensing Unit on 01268 882416or email licensingunit@castlepoint.gov.uk . There will be an additional fee of £36.00 for the Criminal Records Check. DDA training and Medicals need to be sourced and paid for by the applicant.

Once I become a licensed driver, does the Council arrange work for me?

No the Council only issues the licence. You have to find somebody who is willing to give you work. Usually you can do this by contacting the operators in the Borough. Or you can generate your own work for which a Private hire vehicle will require an operator’s licence, this will enable you to advertise and take your own bookings.

What documentation will I need to support my application for a drivers licence?

When the application and Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) forms have been completed you should book an appointment at the Licensing Unit on 0268 882416 or email licensingunit@castlepoint.gov.uk to attend these offices together with the following:
DVLA driving licence (including counterpart if it is a photo card)
Completed DBS and DVLA forms
Valid Passport, birth certificate or marriage certificate
Proof of address i.e. bank statement, utility bill showing your current address
Please note original documentation must be produced.
Drivers Standard Agency (DSA) pass certificate for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire assessment Names and address of two referees who will we will write to and request a character reference. (Not family or persons living at the same address)

What level of knowledge is required to hold a drivers licence?

You should have a good knowledge of:
Main Roads through the Borough
Side streets
One-way systems
How to get around the Borough using direct routes
Location of public buildings, restaurants, pubs, schools, and other public buildings such as hospitals, nightclubs etc. within the neighbouring authorities

Back to Questions

Will I be required to have a knowledge test?

All drivers who work on the circuit will be required to pass a knowledge test. In addition to obtain a combined hackney carriage and private hire drivers licence, there is a requirement to undergo a test of bylaws and hackney carriage stands. Restricted drivers who work out of the area i.e. pre booked Airport runs or Chauffeur work only are not required to pass a knowledge test.

Back to Questions

Will I have to have a medical examination before I become a licensed driver?

Yes there is a requirement for all applicants to undergo a group 2 medical examination with a GP. The form is included in the application pack. Once the medical has been completed it will need to be returned to the Licensing Unit. Medicals will be to the applicant’s expense. If any medical conditions are revealed on the medical form the Licensing Unit will submit the form to Southend Hospital for there advice as to the drivers fitness to become a licensed driver. All drivers over 60 will require a yearly medical.

Back to Questions

How long will my drivers licence last?

Driver’s licences are held for three years. All drivers Licences expire in 2012. Private hire licences and restricted private hire drivers licences expire on 31st March 2012. Combined hackney carriage and private hire driver’s licences expire on 30th June 2012.

Back to Questions