Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.
Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, you are still able to access services and information from this website 24/7.
Information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access Council Services during this period can be found on our Coronavirus information page
You are invited to view and contribute to the The Mayor's Covid Record of Reflection
Health and Safety at Work
Our inspectors will make visits to high risk business premises to check up on safety standards, investigate complaints and investigate accidents.
The primary responsibility for ensuring health and safety in the workplace lies with those who create the risk, and in particular employers need to make suitable and sufficient arrangements for managing health and safety.
Officers within the section are responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 in all premises for which the Council has enforcement responsibilities. These premises include warehouses and stores, offices and shops, garden centres and residential care homes. The full range of premises enforced by the Local Authority can be found in the Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998.
The range of activities undertaken by the officers are as follows:-
- Investigate accidents and seek to prevent recurrences
- Inspect premises on a routine basis for compliance with health and safety legislation. These are carried out on a priority based system. The frequency of our visits is determined by factors such as the type and size of premises, the work activity and the health and safety history of the premises.
- Investigate and resolve complaints relating to workplace conditions.
- Promote health and safety awareness to employers and employees by providing information, advice and participating in national campaigns.
- Register and licence skin piercing and tattooist establishments.
- Provide advice to business. We answer queries from business proprietors who require basic information on health and safety at work. Often we can provide this over the telephone and/or send out explanatory leaflets.
- Provide advice to workers. Employees who are experiencing health and safety problems at work or who have any concerns or queries, may need to discuss their situation with someone outside their workplace. We can provide advice and/or deal with the query as a complaint. If an Officer makes an investigation the complainants name is not revealed.
We are responsible for ‘policing’ most aspects of safety in the service industry. This includes retail (ie shops and mobile vendors), offices, provision of accommodation (eg hotels), leisure and cultural activities (eg bingo and churches), wholesale warehousing, catering premises, consumer services (eg hairdressers and launderettes), animal care and child care.
Click on any of the links on the right for health & safety related information.
If you wish to discuss any health & safety matter, please contact tel (01268) 882200 or email us