Reduced Services

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.

Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, you are still able to access services and information from this website 24/7.

Information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access Council Services during this period can be found on our Coronavirus information page

We ask that all residents #StayHomeSaveLives – see a Message from the Leader of the Council

Illegal Motorcycling

The Problem

Complaints have been received within our borough about the activities of illegal motorcyclists.

The Partnership

Castle Point Borough Council is working in partnership with Essex Police to combat the problem of illegal motorcycling. This page gives details of the legal requirements of owning a motorcycle, using it on roads, other public places, and on private land.

The Danger

Several people have been killed in the Essex area during recent years, riding illegal motorcycles. This is besides the danger caused to other road users and pedestrians. A person who rides a motorcycle dangerously and injures or kills someone else - a passenger, another road user or pedestrian - faces possible imprisonment.


Crash helmets are required by law

They can save the life of the wearer

Powers to Seize

Under the police Reform Act, the police now have new powers to seize motor vehicles that are used to cause alarm, distress, or annoyance to members of the public! Repeat offenders are warned that they may have their motor vehicle taken from them and disposed of AND you may have to pay the cost of recovery. Parents are warned that they may be liable to pay £105.00 recovery costs of any cycle seized from their child. THINK TWICE before you let your child out on that bike!

Noise Nuisance

Castle Point Borough Council's Environmental Health section has powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to take action. Following service of a Legal Notice, it may be possible to seize the offender's motorcycle and take prosecution proceedings.

Damage to land, parks, playing fields etc

You could commit the offence of criminal damage or be sued in the County Court for the value of the damage. For example, a school playing field may be damaged because of ruts left behind by motorcycles. The rider has damaged it and could be arrested and have to pay for the damage to be repaired if the owner sue you.

Public Places other than roads

If a motorcycle is ridden on land such as parks, footpaths and fields, without permission, the rider commits an offence of 'riding on land other than a road'. Noise Nuisance offences are applicable when riding on such land.

Private Land

Without the landowner's permission, you can commit the offence of 'driving a motor vehicle on land other than a road'. Noise nuisance offences are applicable when riding on private land.

What is 'a road' ?

As well as the carriageway, footpaths alongside roads are part of the road. Pushing a motorcycle along the footpaths means it is on the road.

Please Note

If parents are the owners of a motorcycle, it can be classed as 'aiding and abetting' if they permit the illegal use of a motorcycle. Even if a parent buys petrol for an illegal motorcycle, they can be aiding and abetting the rider to commit offences. Owners can be prosecuted in addition to riders.

Supplying Petrol

Petrol must not be supplied to a person under the age of sixteen, and petrol must be supplied in a suitable container.

  • Illegal motorcycling can be fatal
  • It can be expensive in fines
  • Your motorcycle may be confiscated
  • It can lead to imprisonment

Motorcycle Hotline

If you have any information about persons committing these offences, or where they live, please contact out Information Hotline on (01268) 882498. Any information will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Legal Motorcycling

Driving Licence

A driving licence is needed to ride a motorcycle. Learners cannot ride a motorcycle over 125cc until passing a test, unless over 21 years of age and on a Direct Access Course.


A motorcycle needs insurance to be in any public place, whether the motorcycle is being ridden, or only being pushed.

Test Certificate

Test certificates are needed for motorcycles over three years old. This applies if the motorcycle is being ridden, or only being pushed, on a road.

To be on a road, a motorcycle needs a registration number. It also needs a tax disc, even if it is only being pushed.

Being Street-legal

To be on a road, a motorcycle needs all the usual equipment to be fitted and working. For example, lights, brakes, brake lights, horn, speedometer, good tyres etc. These are required even if the motorcycle is being pushed