Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

  • You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
  • The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
  • You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our  Coronavirus information page

Information and evidence for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claims

Information and evidence needed for Housing and Council Tax Support claims

We aim to try and process your support claim as quickly as possible. In order to achieve this we need certain information and evidence from you to make sure this happens.

Making a claim

If you are already receiving benefits from us and you move address, providing that all your other circumstances remain the same, you do not have to complete a full application form. Simply fill out a change of address form (contact us for a form, contact details at the bottom of this page) and provide us with evidence on your new rent such as a tenancy agreement.

When making a claim remember

  • Always provide evidence of your income and capital and any other relevant information
  • Always complete and send in your form as soon as possible
  • Always provide any evidence requested from you as soon as possible

You will be asked to provide identification for yourself along with proof of your National Insurance Number when making a new claim.

Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number

  • P45 or P60
  • Wage slip
  • Tax letter
  • DWP notification letter
  • RD3 National Insurance card

Acceptable forms of identification

  • Current valid passport
  • National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
  • Full Driving Licence
  • UK Residence permit
  • Marriage certificate
  • Paid utility bill
  • Divorce or annulment papers
  • Certificate of employment in HM forces
  • Certificate of employment in the Merchant Navy
  • Wage slip from current employer
  • P714 (Tax Certificate)
  • Birth certificate
  • Life insurance policy
  • Benefit award letter from DWP
  • Medical card

Letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor

Types of income proof we need  if you are in receipt of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits;

  • Proof of income - Notification letter of your current award

If you are NOT in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits;

Proof of income & capital
Proof of earnings For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips. If you do not have these ask for an employers certificate of earnings. This must include a company stamp. If you are self employed, latest accounts or tax return or a self employed pro-forma can be requested from our offices.
State benefits and pension Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award. Bank statement showing the payments going in.
Occupational pension

Pay slips or letter from your former employer.

Tax Credits Inland Revenue notification letter - ALL PAGES
Maintenance Letter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer
Other income Letter showing the amount and frequency
Student grant/loan Current grant/loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant
Child care payments Receipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminder’s OFSTED registration number
Proof of capital

2 full months up to date bank statements
Passbooks (up to date)
Share certificates
National savings certificates
Premium bonds
Documentary evidence of any other type of capital

Second properties Evidence of the current valuation and the amount of the outstanding mortgage.
Evidence of the amount of any rental income received