Accessing Council Services:
You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:
- By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
- By emailing directly to the relevant service
- By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri).
- By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.
Internal Audit is primarily an assurance function. Its purpose is to provide an independent and objective opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of the whole system of internal control that contributes to the achievement of the Council's business objectives. This includes controls established to manage working arrangements with partners or third parties.
In this context, the system of internal control includes the Council's governance framework which is described in the Local Code of Governance as:
- the principles and values by which the Council operates
- the key strategic business management process it applies in order to enable it to deliver the services required by its local community.
The Head of Internal Audit is then required to produce an annual report that gives an opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal control for the year. The annual opinion is based on the cumulative impact of the work done on the Council's ability to deliver its key objectives.