Annual Canvass of the Register of Electors
The electoral canvass takes place every year. It is used to ensure that the data we have on the register of electors is accurate and up to date.
Starting in August, Castle Point Borough Council's Electoral Services team will deliver a Canvass Communication Form to the owner or occupier of a property, asking residents to confirm who is currently living in the property and who is eligible to vote.
The rules around canvass changed in 2020. Now, following a national data match with the Department of Works and Pensions, one of two forms will be sent to a property as follows:
- Canvass Communication A (white A4 form) – All electors match - Response required only if the information is incorrect.
- Canvass Communication B (yellow A4 form) – One or more electors do not match. Response required.
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are up to date:
If we have requested a response from your property (yellow form) and all the details shown on your Canvass communication form are correct and up to date then all you have to do is to confirm this by any of the following methods:
- Online: Submit your confirmation online at www.householdresponse.com/castlepoint
- By Freephone: Call the Freephone number 0800 197 9871 and follow the instructions
- By phone text message: Text NOCHANGE followed by the security code on your Canvass Communication Form to 80212
- By post: Complete the form and send it back to us
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are NOT up to date:
If the details shown on your Canvass Communication Form are incorrect or out of date (white of yellow form) then all you have to do is send us the correct up to date details by any of the following methods:
- Online: Submit the correct information online at www.householdresponse.com/castlepoint
- By post: Complete the form with the correct information and send it back to us. (If anyone has moved out of the property but their details are still on the form, please cross out their name before sending the form back to us).
Once you have submitted the correct information, we won't write to you again until next year's canvass.
Please respond to messages promptly to minimise the need for reminders to confirm details.
Please note: The canvass communication form is NOT a registration form. If you add any new people they will also need to complete a registration application. They can do this at www.gov.uk/registertovote. We will send each person an invitation to register form by email and/or post if they do not apply online.
Reminders - If you receive a Canvass Communication Form to your property that requires a response and we do not receive a reply, a reminder form will be sent.
Email - If you receive an email from Castle Point Borough Council's Electoral Services team, you must follow the instructions included and submit a response. If you do not respond to the email, a reminder form will be sent.
Personal Canvass - If a response is required from the reminder form delivered to your property and we do not receive a reply a personal canvasser may visit your property to request the information in person.
Further information and enquiries
- For further information and enquiries please contact the Electoral Services Team – email@example.com or telephone 01268 882200.