Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
By emailing directly to the relevant service
By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri). 
By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.

Property Exemptions

What sort of dwellings are exempt?

The following broadly explains the types of dwelling that may be exempt and the exemption class they fall under.

Dwellings that are exempt

N – dwelling occupied entirely by students, or by students as term time accommodation, or are a student hall of residence

M – Halls of residents occupied by students

O - armed forces accommodation or dwellings where a member of a visiting force would otherwise be liable to pay

S – dwelling occupied only by people under the age of 18

U - occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired who would otherwise be liable to pay the council tax. Such dwellings where the landlord or care home owner is liable are not exempt

V – dwelling where the liable person is a diplomat

W – annexes occupied by dependant relatives of the occupants of the main property

Dwellings that are exempt only for a limited period

F - unoccupied dwellings which form part of the estate of a person who has died, for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration. Where a property is owned jointly, the death of one joint owner does not give rise to this exemption

Dwellings that are exempt only while they remain unoccupied

B - unoccupied dwellings owned by a charity, exempt where it was last occupied in accordance with the charity’s objectives

D - dwellings left unoccupied by people who are in prison (except for non-payment of a fine or council tax). The dwelling must have been their main home immediately before they went into prison

E - dwellings left empty by people now permanently resident in a hospital, hostel or nursing / care home

G - dwellings whose occupation is forbidden by law, or which are kept unoccupied because of impending compulsory purchase

H - vicarages and similar dwellings which are awaiting occupation by ministers of religion, from where they will perform their duties

I - dwellings left unoccupied by people who have moved to receive personal care, whether in a hospital or home or elsewhere. They must have been away for this reason since they left

J - dwellings left unoccupied by people who have moved to provide personal care to another person. They must have been away for this reason since they left

K - dwellings where the owner is a student who last lived in the dwelling as their main home

L - dwellings which have been taken into possession by a mortgage lender

Q - dwellings where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy

R - A pitch, which is not occupied by a caravan, or a mooring, which is not occupied by a boat, is exempt for the whole of any period during which this situation exists. 

T - annexes which cannot be let separately from the main dwelling without breaching planning conditions


Will I get a bill for an exempt dwelling?

If you own one of these types of dwelling, you should not receive a council tax bill for it, but we will send you information to let you know which valuation band the property has been placed in and what the council tax would be, if it were not exempt.

If we write to tell you that we believe your property is exempt, but you realise that it isn’t, you must write and tell us, or you may face a penalty. Alternatively, you can telephone us on 01268 882200 or write to us by email:


What can I do if the Council says my property is not exempt?

If we decide your dwelling is not exempt and you disagree, you should write to us saying why you think your property should be exempt. The Council has two months to provide an answer.

You should continue to pay your original bill while your appeal is outstanding.