Who can Claim
Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support
- If you are unemployed or working and on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support to help with your rent or council tax.
- Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent.
- How much you receive depends on your income and circumstances.
- It is assessed by looking at your; household, any other adults living with you, personal circumstances, and income.
- You will not be entitled to Housing Benefit if you have savings of over £16,000 (unless you are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit).
- For general information on Local Council Tax Support click here, for details on the key elements of the Local Council Tax Support scheme and entitlement criteria click here.
- Click here to find out How your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is calculated.
- You can find out if you may be entitled by using our calculator. Please be aware the calculator is only a guide.
- Please see our FAQ's for more information.
Discretionary Housing Payment
- You must be receiving some Housing Benefit to be eligible to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment.
- You cannot receive more than the shortfall in your weekly eligible rent.
- A Discretionary Housing Payment cannot help you with service charges not covered by the benefit scheme – such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs.
- You cannot receive a Discretionary Housing Payment to make up for any reduction in other social security benefits as a result of any sanctions applied by the Benefits Agency.
- The amount awarded is entirely at the discretion of the council. Each individual case will be considered on its own merits. We will look at the individual circumstances of your claim and will consider the other options available to you before deciding whether to award a Discretionary Housing Payment.
IT Support Sessions
If you would like support to increase your knowledge or skills, so you may be more IT confident please see a IT Programme showing a timetable on what is available across the borough for free.