Accessing Council Services:
You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:
- By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
- By emailing directly to the relevant service
- By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri).
- By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.
Sexual Entertainment Venues
On 8th June 2010 Castle Point Borough Council resolved to adopt Schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 as amended by Section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009 so that the provisions for the control of sexual entertainment venues would apply to the whole of Castle Point. The amended Schedule 3 gives the Local Authority more powers to control the number and location of lap dancing clubs and similar venues in the area.
The new powers took effect in Castle Point from 3rd January 2011 (‘1st appointed day’).
The category “Sexual Entertainment Venue” includes the following forms of entertainment as they are commonly understood:
- Lap dancing;
- Pole dancing;
- Table dancing;
- Strip shows;
- Peep shows;
- Live sex shows.
There is an exemption for premises which provide such entertainment less frequently than once a month.
Further guidance for applicants and interested parties can be found in the Home Office Guidance.
Duration of Sexual Entertainment Venue Licences
Licences for sex establishments can be granted for up to one year.
How to Apply for a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence
Complete the application form and return with all supporting documents and fee to the Licensing Department.
- Postal applications must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Cheques must be made payable to 'Castle Point Borough Council', credit/debit card payments can be made by contacting the Licensing Department.
- In Person - applications can be submitted in person by appointment only.
- Email - applications can be submitted by email to the Licensing Department. Credit/Debit card payments can be made by contacting the Licensing Office on 01268 882480
- You must submit a copy of your application to Essex Police South East Licensing at Essex Police within 7 days of submitting the application to the Licensing Department:
Essex Police Licensing
Notices and Certifications
Applicants for a sex establishment licence must give public notice of the application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper that is circulated in the local authority area no later than 7 days after the date the application is made.
Where the application relates to premises, a notice should also be displayed on or near the premises in a place where it can be conveniently read by members of the public. The notice should be displayed for a period of 21 days beginning with the date the application was made.
A proforma for the notice/advertisement is included within the application pack.
Most sexual entertainment venues will also require a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate granted under the Licensing Act 2003 in order to sell / supply alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, and provide late night refreshment.
A fee is payable on application for a new Sexual Entertainment Venue