Accessing Council Services:
You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:
- By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
- By emailing directly to the relevant service
- By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri).
- By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.
Local Authorities have a duty to remove any vehicle that has been, after investigation, established to be abandoned.
The primary legislation under which we act is The Road Traffic Regulation Act and the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.
This can be from the highway or land to which the public have access.
These investigations can take up to 15 days depending on the location of the vehicle.
After a vehicle has been deemed as possibly abandoned a 24hour, 7 day or 15 day notice will be affixed to the vehicle.
What is an Abandoned Vehicle?
An abandoned vehicle is one that has been discarded by its owner/user and has no intention of returning for it.
These vehicles are usually untaxed and suffering neglect.
Just because a vehicle is untaxed does not mean it is abandoned?
Untaxed vehicles should be reported to the DVLA: 0300 790 6802 or online: DVLA website
Vehicles that are taxed and have an in date MOT will not be treated as abandoned and will not be investigated.
Castle Point Borough Council does not deal with...
- Parked motor vehicles causing obstruction/dangerous position - Police matter
- Motor vehicles in a dangerous position/condition left at roadside following a road traffic accident (reported by the Police) - Police matter
- Lost or stolen vehicles - Police matter
- Vehicles parked outside a house and the householder doesn’t like it - no offence
If you yourself have an unwanted vehicle:
The council itself does not provide a removal service. Any vehicles we remove are handled by an out side contractor.
ARM Recovery Service: 01268 530470
All vehicles handled by them are done so in accordance to the Environmental Agencies - End of Life Vehicles Directive.
Notify Castle Point of an Abandoned Vehicles
If you would like to report an Abandoned Vehicle you can contact us on 01268 882200 and choose option 4