Accessing Council Services:
You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:
- By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
- By emailing directly to the relevant service
- By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri).
- By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.
Council Tax Penalties
Failure to notify or supply information
The authority may impose a penalty of £70 where a person:
- fails to notify the authority, without reasonable excuse, on any matter which affects entitlement to a Council Tax discount.
- fails to notify that their dwelling is no longer an exempt dwelling.
- fails to notify the Authority that they are jointly liable for the tax.
- fails to supply relevant information requested in order to establish liability.
- fails to supply relevant information requested after the issue of a Liability Order has been obtained. Failure to supply could lead to a criminal prosecution and a fine.
Where a penalty has been imposed and a further request to supply the same information is made, a further penalty of £280 may be imposed for each subsequent failure
Appeals against the imposition of penalties are to the Valuation Tribunal. In the first instance it is advisable to contact the Council. Penalties are recovered in the Magistrates court.