Gambling Act 2005 FAQ's


How do I apply for a licence/permit under the Gambling Act 2005?

Contact the Licensing Department for application forms and guidelines by phone 01268 882416, email or on the website

What Gambling Licences and permits does the Licensing Authority Issue?

  • Betting
  • Race tracks
  • Casino
  • Bingo
  • Adult Gaming Centres
  • Family Entertainment Centre
  • Club machine permit
  • Club gaming permit
  • Licensed premises game machine permit
  • Prize gaming permit
  • Small lottery permit

What are the Gambling Act 2005 Objectives?

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime and disorder or being used to support crime.
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way and
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

Who can apply for a Premises Licence?

An application may be made by persons (which includes companies or partnerships)
• Who are 18 years of age or over
• Have a right to occupy the premises
• who hold or have applied for an operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission authorising the proposed activity

Will I need to advertise my premises application?

Yes the premises application will need to be advertised in the local paper on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting with the day after the application is made to the Licensing Authority.
You will also need to display a white A4 notice on the exterior of the premises which is visible to passing members of the public, for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day on which the application is made to the Licensing Authority The prescribed notice (which must be used) can be obtained from the Licensing Authority. This form can also be used as a pro-forma for the notice to be published in the local newspaper.

What do the plans have to show?

What do the plans have to show?
All plans have to show

  • The extent of the boundary or perimeter of the premises
  • Where the premises include, or consist of, one or more buildings, the location of any external or internal walls of each such building
  • Where the premises form part of a building, the location of any external or internal walls of the building which are included in the premises.
  • Where the premises are a vessel or a part vessel, the location of any part of the sides of the vessel, and of any internal walls or the vessel, which are included in the premises.
  • The location of each point of entry to and exit from the premises, including in each case a description of the premises of the place from which entry is made or to which the exit leads

Who can make a representation to my application?

Responsible Authorities, Neighbouring residence/businesses and elected Councillors of wards likely to be effected

What happens if my application receives representations?

If relevant representations are made to the application from the responsible authorities or neighbouring residence a hearing will be arranged before a Licensing Committee to determine the application.
If no representations are received in the consultation time the licence will be issued.

Who are the Responsible authorities?



Licensing Department
Castle Point Borough Council
Kiln Road,
Benfleet, Essex SS7 1TF

Tel: 01268 882416

South East Licensing
Southend Police Station
Victoria Avenue
Southend on Sea

Tel: 01268 423118
Fax: 01702 436562

The Fire & Rescue Authority .
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
Rayleigh Weir Community Fire Station
500 Rayleigh Road
01376 576500

Head of Planning Services
Castle Point Borough Council
Council Offices, Kiln Road
Benfleet, Essex SS7 1TF

Tel: 01268 882200

The Local Authority Environmental Health
Castle Point Borough Council
Council Offices, Kiln Road
Benfleet, Essex SS7 1TF

Tel: 01268 882200

Protection of children from harm Head of Child Protection
Gambling Applications
Essex County Council
PO Box 297, Chelmsford
Essex CM12 1YS

Tel: 01245 434795
Fax: 01245 434154

The Gambling Commission Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP

Tel: 0121 2306500
Fax: 0121 2331096

Her Majesty’s Commissioners of Customs and Excise Greenock Accounting Centre
Custom House
Custom House Quay
PA15 1EQ

Tel: 01475 726331

Can my Licence/permit be reviewed?

Yes a review may be called from a Responsible Authority or interested parties with relevant representations.
A Licensing Committee hearing will be arranged to determine to review of the licence/permit.

Do I have to keep my new licence on the premises?

Yes the holder of a premises licence has to -
Keep the licence on the premises and
Arrange for the licence to be made available on request to –
• A Constable
• An Enforcement Officer or
• An authorised Local Authority Officer
It is also a Mandatory condition attached to the premises licence that the Summary to the terms and conditions of the premises licence shall be displayed in a prominent place within the premises