Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

  • You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
  • The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
  • You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our  Coronavirus information page

Dropped kerb, working from home FAQ's

Do I need planning permission for a crossover / dropped kerb?

Whether you need planning permission for a dropped kerb or not depends on the status of your road.The link below will take you to the relevant web page where you can search for your road status:

Planning permission is NOT required if your road is listed as;

                        Unclassified  /  Private road  / Private street

Planning permission IS required if your road is listed as;

                          A / B / Class III.

There are a small number of roads in the Borough which have dual classifications. If your road comes into that category you will need to contact Essex Highways to clarify if the property is in the classified or unclassified section. Castle Point Borough Council does not hold that information.

Essex County Council must always be contacted to obtain permission for any works you intend to undertake and to provide you with an approved contractor.

Applying for permission to construct the kerb;

If NO planning permission is needed

Permission for a dropped kerb needs to be obtained from Essex County Council, please click on the link below.

If planning permission is needed

Please submit a planning application online at The Planning Portal You will need to complete the ‘Householder Application’.

Once planning permission has been granted, permission for a dropped kerb needs to be obtained from Essex County Council, please click on the link below.

Do I need planning permission to work from home?

You can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. This is called 'permittted development'. All the information regarding your "permitted development rights" as well as a handy interactive house and guidance on common planning projects can be found on the Planning Portal.

If you do not need planning permission this is also called "lawful development".

If you want to be certain that your proposal does not require planning permission you can apply for a certificate called a Lawful Development Certificate.

* It is not a requirement to apply for a lawful development certificate however it is advisable as it is formal confirmation that the works/changes have been lawfully completed. This would show up on any property searches

You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. If the answer is “yes” to any of the following questions, then planning permission will probably be needed:

  • Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
  • Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
  • Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?