Reduced Services

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.

Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, you are still able to access services and information from this website 24/7.

Information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access Council Services during this period can be found on our  Coronavirus information page

You are invited to view and contribute to the The Mayor's Covid Record of Reflection

TIER 4 Message from the Mayor Colin Riley and Leader Norman Smith

Other Environmental Health FAQ's


Is there a maximum and minimum temperature in the workplace?

The temperature of all indoor rooms should be reasonable.

The minimum temperature is set at 16° C (or 13° C where strenuous physical work is carried out), unless other laws require lower temperatures.

There is no maximum temperature – this should be comfortable.

If is not reasonably comfortable throughout the workroom, local heating and cooling should be provided or, as a last resort, protective clothing and rest facilities provided.

Thermometers should be readily available throughout the workplace.

Do I need to register my business with the local authority Environmental Health department?

Any business involved in office or shop work that employs staff is required by Section 49 of the Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act 1963 and the Notification of Employment of Persons Order 1964, to complete an OSR Form in order to notify the Local Authority.

This form can be downloaded or obtained by contacting or visiting Environmental Health Services, Council Offices, Kiln Road, Thundersley, Benfleet SS7 1TF. Tel. No. 01268 882200

The condition of the property next-door is causing damage to our home. Is there anything you can do?

The Environmental Health Services can investigate complaints where the physical condition of a property is affecting the neighbouring property. An example of this is where leaking gutters on one property are causing damp to another.

For further assistance email us (including your name and address) at or telephone us on 01268 882200 or write to/visit Environmental Health Services, Council Offices, Kiln Road, Thundersley, Benfleet, SS7 1TF.


The garden next door is so overgrown with trees/ bushes /weeds that it is affecting my property. Can you do anything about this?

If the garden provides actual or potential harbourage and/or food sources to vermin, the Environmental Health Service may be able to assist.  The Council has a duty to keep the district free from rats and mice, and this includes taking action against the owner or occupier of a premises where vermin have the potential to nest or find food.

Planning Services also have particular powers to deal with certain problems arising from tall/obstructive Leylandii.

Our Housing Services may be able to help in some circumstances if the property is owned by the Council.

Problems of overhanging trees, weeds growing through, overgrown gardens where there is no potential harbourage or food sources for rats or mice are generally civil law issues and you will need to get advice as to the action, if any, that you can take.

You could visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website or contact a Solicitor for this type of advice.

Please email us (including your name and address) at, or telephone us on 01268 882200 or write to/visit Environmental Health Services, Council Offices, Kiln Road, Thundersley, Benfleet SS7 1TF if you require further assistance.