Hiring out Horses

Hiring out horses in the course of a business for riding and.or instruction in riding will require an 'Animal Activity Licence' under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.

After applying for a licence an inspection will be completed by a Council Officer and veterinary surgeon. You will be required to cover the cost of the veterinary inspection.

During your inspection, you will be risk rated and given a star rating of 1-5. To achieve a higher star rating, you will need to meet higher standards. Your star rating will determine your licence length and licences can last from 1 to 3 years depending on the star rating achieved. This is explained in further detail in the licence conditions and guidance relevant to your business:

To apply for a licence, please follow the link below:

Completed application forms can returned to the Council either via post or email. In order for your application to be processed further, you must pay the appropriate fee as stated on our 'Application Forms & Fees' webpage.

For further information, please call 01268 882200 or email

Register of Licensed Riding Establishments in Castle Point
Ragwood Riding Center - 154 Daws Heath Road, Hadleigh, Benfleet, Essex, SS7 2TB