Accessing Council Services:
- You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
- The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
- You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our Coronavirus information page .
Rubbish and Accumulations
Rubbish/Accumulations and Pests
Accumulations of rubbish and excess vegetation can potentially provide harbourage and food sources to pests. Under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, the Council has a duty to ensure the borough is kept free from rats and mice so far as is reasonable practicable.
If you are suffering from problems relating to excessive vegetation or accumulations of waste, you are first advised to speak to whoever is responsible for the problem.
If you are unable to resolve the issue, we may be able to help:
- First of all, we need to identify if there is a problem with rats or mice. This may involve inspecting the area for any signs of pests laying test bait.
- If no signs of pests are found, we may not be able to take further action, although this is decided on a case by case basis. However, if signs of rats and mice being present are found, we may take further action.
- We may contact the person responsible for causing the problem and discuss ways of resolving the issue. For example, pest control treatment may be required or vegetation and accumulations of waste may need to be cleared. Alternatively, we may decide to serve an enforcement notice on the person responsible for the problems requiring them to carry out remedial works.