Reduced Services

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.

Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, our operating hours remain unchanged.

You are still able to access services and information from the website 24/7 and via email and phone during operating hours.

For information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19), and to volunteer to help in your community, please see our Coronavirus information page.

For information on our services, including waste collections, please see our Service update and information page

For information on businesses and business rates, please see our Business advice page


Construction Noise Complaints

Where building, construction or demolition works are taking place, we require that "noisy" works be carried out within certain hours. This relates to noise audible outside the boundary only. We do have the discretion to change these hours but this is normally only done where the works are extension works on a private house.


Construction Noise Restriction Hours

Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm
Saturday 8am - 1pm
Sunday/Bank Holiday No Work

Private house having an extension

  • Before the Council takes any kind of action you should consider resolving the dispute informally.
  • It is very important that people do their best to resolve any problem in a friendly was so let your neighbour know of the problem and the way the noise is affecting you.

If the site is commercial or a private house and you want the Council to investigate, what will they do?

1. An Officer will be appointed your case.

2. The Case Officer will contact you and ask you for any further information regarding the disturbance and the subject/s. The Case Officer will explain the procedure to you.

3. The Case Officer may try and contact the person responsible and advise them of the Construction Noise Restriction Hours. Alternatively, the Case Officer may serve a formal notice legally requiring the person to stick to the permitted hours for noisy works.

With regards to private properties, the Case Officer may speak to the people concerned to determine what hours of work will allow the work to be finished in a timely manner rather than over-restricting the hours of work which results in the building going on for longer than needed.

4. If a notice is served and the recipient(s) breaches its requirements,  we can take prosecution action.




Contact Environmental Health

Contact us