Accessing Council Services:
You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:
- By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
- By emailing directly to the relevant service
- By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri).
- By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.
How to Claim
Housing Benefit / Universal Credit / Council Tax Support
If you are on a low income you could be entitled to have help with paying your rent or council tax.
Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
You will receive help from:
Castle Point Borough Council's Housing Benefit department
If you are
- pension age; or
- living in temporary or supported accommodation. This is accommodation provided by a landlord in the social or voluntary sector where the claimant is provided with care, support or supervision by the landlord or by someone acting on the landlord’s behalf.
- Complete an Online Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support Claim Form.
If you are working age and none of the above apply to you, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit via the Department for Work and Pensions (your local Job Centre Plus).
If you are entitled to claim Universal Credit you must claim it online. If you need help making your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline 0800 328 5644 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday). If you claim Universal Credit you will still need to make an online claim for council tax support separately. Further information on Council Tax Support.
Discretionary Housing Payments
- The Discretionary Housing Payment scheme is to assist Housing Benefit/Universal Credit claimants who may need further help with their housing costs.
- The council receives some money from the Government towards the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme. The amount we can spend is limited and not everyone who claims a Discretionary Housing Payment will be given assistance.
- Online Discretionary Housing Payment form
Need to send us evidence for your claim?
To supply evidence to support your claim is simple. All you need to do is photograph or scan your documents; save them on your smart phone, tablet or computer, and then upload your photograph or documents via our website. https://www.castlepoint.gov.uk/upload-evidence
Privacy Notices are available to reflect the new General Data Protection Regulations that came into force from 25th May 2018.