I Need Photo ID

Last updated 31.03.23 16:00

If you don’t have an accepted form of the photo ID listed, you will be able to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate which is an accepted form of photo ID. 


Apply online

You can apply online at Voter Authority Certificate Service | GOV.UK


Apply by paper application form

You can apply by filling out a paper application form and sending it together with your photograph, to: Castle Point Borough Council, Kiln Road, Benfleet, Essex, SS7 1TF

Please email elections@castlepoint.gov.uk or by call 01268 882200 to request a copy.


Apply in person

If you are unable to apply online or by paper form, email elections@castlepoint.gov.uk or call 01268 882200 to arrange for an appointment at our offices in Kiln Road, Benfleet, Essex SS7 1TF. 

Alternatively, you can get assistance at the Canvey Island Town Council offices at 11/13 High Street, Canvey Island, SS8 7RB on Tuesdays 9.30am -12pm, Wednesdays 12.30pm - 2.30pm or Thursdays 9.30am - 12pm


Further information

You must be eligible to vote and registered to get a Voter Authority Certificate.  If you do not know if you are registered, you can contact us to check at elections@castlepoint.gov.uk or on 01268 882200.  You can register to vote online at gov.uk/register-to-vote or contact us to request a paper voter registration form.  

When applying for a Voter Authority Certificate you will be asked for:

  • Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • The address where you are registered to vote.
  • A recent, digital photo of you.
  • Your National Insurance Number.


If you don't know your National Insurance number or don't have one

You can find your National Insurance number on:

  • Payslips
  • Official letters about tax, pensions or benefits


You can still apply if you don’t know your National Insurance number, or don’t have one.  You will be asked to provide 3 or 4 of the following documents to be able to complete the application:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Adoption certificate
  • Firearms certificate (granted under the Firearms Act 1968)
  • Paper driving licence (not photocard)
  • Record of a bail decision (issued in England or Wales)
  • Driving licence with photo (not issued in UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man) which must be valid for at least 12 months from the date the applicant entered the UK Supporting documents list
  • Bank or building society statement, or account confirmation letter
  • Utility bill
  • Credit card statement
  • Benefits (or benefits entitlement) statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • P45 or P60 form
  • Pension statement
  • Council tax statement, or demand letter

Unless otherwise stated, these documents must be issued in the UK, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man.