Reduced Services

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.

Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, our operating hours remain unchanged.

You are still able to access services and information from the website 24/7 and via email and phone during operating hours.

For information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19), and to volunteer to help in your community, please see our Coronavirus information page.

For information on our services, including waste collections, please see our Service update and information page

For information on businesses and business rates, please see our Business advice page


Noise Complaints

Many noise complaints, particularly those involving neighbours can be resolved informally by talking to the person causing the problem – they may be unaware they are disturbing you.

  • Let your neighbour know of the problem and the way the noise is affecting you.
  • It is very important that people do their best to resolve any problem in a friendly way

When is noise a statutory nuisance?

  • There is no fixed level at which noise is considered a statutory nuisance.
  • The assessment includes a number of factors to determine how the noise affects someone's use and enjoyment of their property.
  • The things that are considered include
    - Volume of noise; length of time noise continues for
    - How often the noise happens
    - Time of day (what is acceptable during the day differs from at night)
    - Nature of the locality (you expect to hear more noise from neighbours in flats than in a detached house and the norm for a house in the country is different to that in a town
    - The 'test' is based overall on what is reasonable for the ordinary person to expect.

Will not take into account:

  • Where people sleep during the day and are woken up by reasonable noise from daytime activities.
  • Sensitivity e.g. illness, children needing to sleep etc

If you want the Council to investigate, what will they do?

1. An officer will be appointed your case.

2. The Case Officer well contact you and ask that you complete diary sheets for three weeks. These diary sheets represent a statement and may be used in Court - they must therefore be accurate and truthful. The diary sheets must then be returned to the Council (if no diary sheets are returned after three weeks a reminder letter is sent out. If no diary sheets are returned after that in seven days, the case is closed)

The policy of Castle Point Borough Council is that we will not inform the subject of the complaint ever.

3. The Case Officer will access these diary sheets, determine the extent of the disturbance and will contact you again. They will discuss the case and explain what the next options are.

4. The Case Officer may choose to make arrangements (these may be outside office hours) to visit you install noise recording equipment. All this is to determine if the noise is a statutory nuisance.

5. If the noise is deemed to be a statutory nuisance then the Case Officer will serve an abatement notice requiring the noise nuisance to stop.

6. If the person responsible does not stop the noise they can be taken to Court.

Making a complaint

If you want to make a complaint you cannot remain anonymous because in order to determine if the noise is a nuisance we have to know who the noise is affecting and how it is affecting them.

If you wish to make a complaint please use one of the contact methods below




Contact Environmental Health

Contact us