Accessing Council Services:
- You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
- The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
- You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our Coronavirus information page .
We are aware of an issue in accessing the Castle Point Home Choice website – More information here
Self-build & Custom Housebuilding Register
The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires certain public authorities, including Local Authorities, to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build and custom housebuilding projects in the Local Authority’s area. A serviced plot is defined as a plot of land which has access to a public highway; and has connections for electricity, water and waste water.
There is a duty placed on the Council to have regard to the register when carrying out its planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions. There is also a duty on other public bodies, who may have responsibility for such functions, to have regard to the register.
The register will provide valuable information on the demand for self-build and custom house building in Castle Point and form a key part of the evidence base of the demand for this type of housing.
In preparing the register, the Council are making no commitment to provide self-build or custom housebuilding plots.
Applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria for entry on the register. These are as follows:
- Aged 18 or over;
- British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
- Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.
The Council will not publish the register. Any personal information you provide in confidence and under the Data Protection Act 1998 will not be made public. We will hold it and only use it for a legal reason or for the purpose it is given. We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the Authority without the written consent of the person who registered their details.
The Council will however publish anonymised headline data on the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Castle Point, such as overall numbers of registered entries, geographical areas of interest, types and sizes of housing sought.
How to Apply
Please fill in the Registration Form for Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register [pdf] 51KB and return it to:
Planning Policy, Castle Point Borough Council, The Council Offices, Kiln Road, Benfleet, Essex, SS7 1TF