Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
In line with social distancing advice and to protect residents and staff the Council has taken the decision to close the Council offices to the public until further notice.
Whilst the offices are closed to visitors, you are still able to access services and information from this website 24/7.
Information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access Council Services during this period can be found on our Coronavirus information page
You are invited to view and contribute to the The Mayor's Covid Record of Reflection
Castle Point Borough Council has eight sheltered schemes within the Borough which offer self-contained accommodation for the over 60’s who are capable of independent living with some support. There are 291 such units of supported accommodation, with three schemes in Benfleet, one in Hadleigh and four on Canvey Island. The Council employs Sheltered Housing Officers, and there is a full time Officer at each scheme.
What is Sheltered Housing?
- Sheltered Housing generally applies to a group of apartments inside a communal building
- Most of our sheltered housing schemes are made up of studio apartments, one bedroom flats and bungalows, and a few two-bedroom properties.
- Communal lounge for variety of social activities
- Well maintained gardens
- Sheltered Housing Officer
- Security door - entry system
- 24 hour emergency services
Who can apply?
- Aged over 60 years (for new applicants) or aged over 55 years (for existing CPBC tenants)
- On Castle Point Council’s Housing Register or Transfer List
- Require support
How to apply?
- You will need to submit an application online via our HomeChoice site to apply to join the Housing Register and in addition you will need to complete and submit a Sheltered Housing application form ( Sheltered Accomodation Application Form [pdf] 75KB )
- For any medical and disability conditions, you will also need to complete a Medical Assessment Form [pdf] 601KB
- Heating (hot water and heating)
- Support Services (Sheltered Housing and Careline)
- Laundry charge
What is the role of the Sheltered Housing Officer?
- Daily contact and/or visit to check on wellbeing and your needs
- Liaising with statutory services and voluntary agencies on your behalf
- Support planning
- Reporting repairs
- Management of the building
- Responding to emergency situations.
- Coordinating and Encouraging social interaction
Sheltered Housing Schemes in Castle Point
Below is a list of all the Sheltered Housing locations in Castle Point. Click on each one to view that particular scheme's details.
- Amelia Blackwell House
- Beatrice Littlewood House
- Gowan Court
- Lawns Court
- Stansfield Court
- Sweetbriar Lodge
- Westwood Court
- Willalla House