Social Housing Relief

Who can apply

To qualify for Social Housing Relief you must have a material interest in the relevant land granted planning consent, and must be constructing affordable housing as defined at regulation 49 of the CIL Regulations.

How to apply

You'll need to:

  • complete the charitable and social housing relief form
  • Provide accompanying information on the gross internal area of the social housing dwellings, and a calculation of the amount of social housing relief being claimed.

Disqualifying event

A disqualifying event is where a change results in you no longer being entitled to relief or exemption.

If you have not commenced development at this time, you may submit a new application for social housing relief. Remember to submit updated measurements and calculations to accompany your application.

If a disqualifying event occurs you must notify us in writing within 14 days of the event. If this is not done, a surcharge will be applied in addition to the levy.

You'll be charged the full amount for CIL if within seven years of development commencing there is change of use from social housing to market housing.

It will be the responsibility of the person(s) who received the relief to pay any CIL that becomes liable as a result of the disqualifying event.

Important information

It's important that you do not begin work until you submit your application for social housing relief, and you receive notice from us with a decision.

If you start any work, including digging foundations, your application for relief will be refused.


You have the right to appeal against a grant of relief to the Valuation Office Agency.