Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

You can now access services, get advice and support, and transact with us in the following ways:

  • By accessing our wide range of 24/7 online services
  • By emailing directly to the relevant service
  • By phoning First Contact on 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri). 
  • By pre-booked appointment at the Kiln Road office (9.00am to 4.00pm Mon to Fri) - these can be arranged by phoning First Contact on 01268 882200.

Benefit fraud


Benefit fraud is committed by either:

  • intentionally not reporting a change in your circumstances
  • being dishonest in order to get benefits

Reporting Benefit Fraud

If you think someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it online to the Department for Work and Pensions.

  • Click here to report benefit fraud or
  • Please contact the DWP National Benefit Fraud, free helpline number 0800 854 440 (textphone 0800 320 0512). Your call is free and confidential and you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm


Reporting LCTS Fraud or other Fraud

If you think that someone is committing fraud relating to other matters, including Local Council Tax support:

  • Click here for more information and to report this.


Below is further guidance, as taken from the website of Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

What happens if you’re suspected of fraud

  • You’ll be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs, the Service and Personnel and Veterans Agency or your local authority if you’re suspected of fraud.

  • You may be visited by Fraud Investigation Officers (FIOs) or asked to attend an interview to talk about your claim.

  • Your benefit may be stopped while you’re investigated. You’ll get a letter telling you about this if it happens.

  • FIOs will gather facts about your case and decide whether to take further action.

What happens after a benefit fraud investigation

If there’s evidence you’ve committed fraud, you’ll be told to pay back the overpaid money. One or more of the following may also happen:

  • you may be taken to court or asked to pay a penalty (between £350 and £5,000)
  • your benefits may be reduced or stopped