Dangerous Wild Animals

Under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, you will need a licence if you want to keep a dangerous wild animal listed on the below link.


This does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in a zoo; a circus; premises licensed as a pet shop; or a place which is a designated establishment within the meaning of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.

To apply for a dangerous wild animal licence, please follow the link below:

Licences will only be granted when we are satisfied that it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance; that the applicant is a suitable person; and the animal's accommodation is adequate and secure.

Completed application forms can be returned to the Council either via post or email. In order for your application to be processed further, you must pay the appropriate fee as stated on our 'Application Forms & Fees' webpage.

For further information, please call 01268 882200 or email