Accessing Council Services:
- You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
- The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
- You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our Coronavirus information page.
Pre Application Meetings and Advice
The pre application service will reopen from the beginning of October 2021 for all major and strategic categories of development and minor development consisting of 2 - 9 dwellings or alterations and extensions to commercial premises consisting of 1000 - 1999m2 floorspace. Pre applications for householder and other small scale development may be accepted by prior agreement subject to the capacity of the local planning authority to respond.
It is often a good idea to ask for a written evaluation of your proposal or, in certain cases, meet a planning officer for an informal discussion before you submit a planning application. This service will give you advice about whether the Council are likely to grant planning permission for your proposals. There is great value of early engagement with agents and developers as part of the development management approach to facilitating acceptable development.
There is a charge for the pre-application service. Details of the charges can be found below, in the guidance notes and on the application form.
How to request pre application advice:
- Complete the online Pre Application Request Form
- Pay the relevant fee (by debit/credit card only) Customer Services 01268 882200
(For strategic developments you will need to submit your request online and the officer will inform you of the fee once determined)
- Email the ‘location and site plans/sketch or indicative plans of the proposal. to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please note this is is not an email address for general enquiries)
- For major schemes additional supporting studies & information will be required)
|Category of Development||Pre application written advice||Further advice|
|Householder cases (e.g. alterations and/or extensions to houses, garages or other outbuildings)||£185||£125|
|Small scale development (1 new dwelling or alterations and extensions to commercial premises of up to 999 sq.m. of floorspace)||£370||£125|
|Minor development (2 to 9 new dwellings or extensions to commercial premises from 1,000 to 1,999 sq.m. of floorspace)||£615||£245|
|Major development (10 to 99 new dwellings or extensions to commercial premises from 2,000 to 4,999 sq.m. of floorspace)||£1530||£1020|
|Strategic development (100 or more new dwellings or extensions to commercial premises from 5,000 sq.m. of floorspace)||Individually