Reduced Services

Accessing Council Services:  

  • You can access advice, or support with using our online services, by phoning 01268 882200 (8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs, and to 4.45pm on Fri)
  • The Kiln Road office will re-open for pre-booked appointments only (9.00am to 4.00pm), these can be arranged on a case by case basis by phoning 01268 882200.
  • You can find information and advice on COVID-19 and our 24/7 online services on our  Coronavirus information page

How your benefit is calculated

How your benefit is calculated

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means tested. The amount you receive will vary according to your income, capital, other people in the household and their income and whether you or your family have any special circumstances such as illness or disability.

How is my benefit worked out?

If you get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or the guaranteed credit element of Pension Credits you will get the full amount of benefit after any deductions for non-dependants have been taken off.

For Housing Benefit the maximum level of rent we can pay may be restricted under the rules of Local Housing Allowance. For more information about this please see our Local Housing Allowance section.

For Council Tax Support, the final benefit entitlement figure is reduced by 30% for all working age customers.

In all other cases we work out your benefit by comparing the money you get each week with your applicable amount. Your applicable amount is the minimum amount the government says you and your family need to live on each week. The applicable amount will be higher for some people, for example if you are disabled or if you are a one-parent family.

When we have worked out what money you get each week if it's less than, or the same as, your applicable amount you will usually receive maximum benefit. However don't forget if you have any non-dependants living with you we might have to make deductions from your benefit.

Please note that you are not entitled to any Housing Benefit if you have over £16,000 in capital, and £6,000 in capital for Council Tax Support unless you are also in receipt of the guaranteed element of state pension credit.

How much benefit will I qualify for?

This depends on what your individual circumstances are, who lives with you and how much income and capital you have.

You can obtain an estimate of what you could be entitled to by using our on-line Calculators. Please note that this tool is for guidance purposes only. We strongly suggest that you complete and return a benefit application form as soon as possible in order to obtain an accurate assessment of your entitlement.

If your benefit is in payment and you're still struggling to pay any shortfalls in your rent and Council Tax you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment for help towards your rent.  This is available in exceptional circumstances to people who are in financial difficulties. We will look into your income and expenditure and reasons why you can not afford to pay.