Housing Repairs - help us fix it first time

We want to make sure that your repair gets dealt with at the first visit whenever possible. Before reporting the repair, please check whether this is a repair that may be your responsibility. 

Before you call: 

  • Look up the repair in the following guidance: Repair Guidance [pdf] 3MB and note down the information you need to give us.
  • If your electric has tripped out or you have no power please check your trip switch and check for power cuts in your area. If you have a key or card meter for your gas or electricity, firstly check that you have enough credit on your meter.
  • Please check whether this is a repair that may be your responsibility.
  • Refer to your Tenants Handbook for further guidance.

What repairs are the Council responsible for? 

We are responsible for keeping in good repair the structure and exterior of your home and the installations for the supply of main services within the property, for example water, gas and electricity. This includes the following: 

  • Council supplied fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas and electricity.
  • Cleaning and/or clearing of drains and drain gulley traps
  • Internal walls, internal doors and frames, internal door furniture, floors and ceilings
  • Chimneys, chimney stacks and flues
  • Pathways, steps or other means of access
  • Integral garages, stores and outbuildings
  • Boundary walls and fences (excluding those identified as being the responsibility of adjoining private owners)
  • Internal and external glazing and window furniture.

We are also responsible for the communal areas in sheltered housing schemes and blocks of flats, for example corridors, stairways and entrances and communal facilities, door entry systems, warden-call systems, lifts and TV aerials.

Which repairs am I responsible for?

You are responsible for maintaining your own fixtures, fittings and appliances. In addition you are responsible for:

  • Chains and plugs for sinks and basins
  • Fences (check with the Maintenance Team on 01268 882326)
  • Door handles/cupboard fittings
  • Door chains, door numbers and letter boxes
  • Door and window keys
  • TV aerials (except those that are shared)
  • Light bulbs and tubes

Please do not contact maintenance regarding pot holes, damage to public footpaths or public highways, or gritting. These are the responsibility of Essex County Council. If this is a hazard or urgent please call 0845 603 7631.


All suspected gas leaks should firstly be reported to National Grid on the freephone number 0800 111999. National Grid will visit free of charge and investigate the problem. If it is found that there is a defect with one of the Council's appliances, you should then contact the Maintenance Team.
Important things to remember in an emergency
  • If you smell gas, don't turn the lights on and don't use a naked flame. Open all the windows and phone your gas company or us straight away.
  • If your electrics have gone off, check the trip switch on the main fuse board before you call us. If your electric has stopped working when using an appliance, switch it off and unplug it before resetting the trip switch. It may be the appliance is faulty rather than the electrical system. If the trips switch is not off, check whether your neighbours have electricity. If they haven't, the problem is probably down to the electricity company and we will not be able to help.
  • If you have a serious water leak, turn the water off at the stopcock. Open all your taps to drain down the water system and turn off gas fired central heating. If the leak is pouring through the ceiling, don't switch on the lights in that room.
  • If your roof is leaking, put a bucket under the leak. Don't touch anything electrical in any room that is affected by the leak.


You have a responsibility to control the condensation within your property if the problem is not caused by a maintenance issue. Please refer to the following leaflet as a guide.

Condensation Advice Leaflet [pdf] 294KB

How do I report a repair?

Housing repairs

To report a Housing Repair and book an appointment

In an emergency or after hours (24/7)

  • MCP Property Services call line on 01268 919076

For Gas Repairs please